BACKGROUND AND WORK LOCATIONS
I am currently consulting for multi-national oil & gas companies, and service companies in the upstream energy sector on a domestic and international basis.
Areas of expertise include management (project & construction), technical (engineering and construction), and commercial (contracts, finance packages, etc.) aspects gained while working with integrated multi-national oil and gas companies, partnerships and joint ventures as a solution integrator and key source of expertise.
In addition to extensive construction and engineering experience, my credentials also include contract
negotiations, dealing with regional and local problems such as high inflation, anticipating for the affects
of devaluation and unstable economies, currency and political risk evaluations, partner and subcontractor
selections, security, field development planning, project execution development and troubleshooting,
feasibility studies, conceptual and detailed cost estimates, constructability reviews, tender preparation
and evaluations, risk management.
I routinely perform feasibility studies, put together conceptual to detail cost estimates & models, write project and specific task execution plans, provide planning expertise and documents, etc, including:
- Feasibility Studies, conceptual designs and conceptual to detailed cost estimates
- Risk Assessments and identifying project vulnerabilities and mitigations (articles written for the December 06 issue of World Pipelines and the September 07 issue of World Oil)
- Constructability Reviews (see article written in the June 07 issue of World Pipelines)
- Position papers (HDD’s, pipeline route selection, pipe stacking, API 1102 crossing assessments, valve study’s, hydrostatic & pnuematic testing, etc.)
- Preparing tender packages and detailed tender evaluation plans (including prequalifications and contractor assessments)
- Design to capacity studies (evaluating the required maximum capacity of each system and major piece of equipment relative to the desired overall facility capacity)
- Modularization studies - assessments, planning, cost estimates, and execution plans
Additionally I can provide assistance in the gathering and preparation of data and conducting due diligence in order to make informed, tactical commercial decisions that will deal effectively with a company's key objectives, capabilities/limitations, risks, and other issues commonly encountered in foreign operations.
Recent clients include: Frontier Energy, LLC, Glencore E&P, Caracal Energy, Comisión de Regulación de Energía y Gas (CREG), Universal Strategic Alliance; Germer Gertz, LLP; Dueltex Energy (Nigeria) Ltd; Repsol, Jahind Projects Limited, Chevron Neftegas Ltd, Chevron-Texaco, Angola LNG Ltd, ExxonMobil, Shell, Parsons E&C, Alaska Gas Producers Pipeline Team (BP, Phillips, and ExxonMobil), Willbros International, Willbros Engineering, and Enron International; on projects in areas including Alaska, Canada, Venezuela, Colombia, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, US, China, Qatar, Abu Dhabi, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Russia, Mexico, Chad, Cameroon, Malaysia, Angola, Japan, and Nigeria; on pipelines and systems ranging to over 4,000 Kms in length and to $16 billion TIC.
BS, Industrial Engineering and Technology, East Central University, Oklahoma, USA, 1983
MBA, Robert Kennedy College, Switzerland, focus on international Business, 2005
Courses and seminars:
- Energy Economics (MIT)
- Project Management Process (Parsons Corporation)
- Project Financing and Capital Program Planning (Raytheon)
- International Operations Management (Raytheon)
- Constructability and Value Engineering Applications (Raytheon)
- Contractual Risk Management (Willbros Group)
- Construction Law and Claims Preparation (Willbros Group)
- ISO standards (Willbros Group)
- Construction Excellence 2005 (Exxon-Mobil)
- Business Conduct and Ethics Code 2008
- Various Operational Excellence (OE) modules completed (Chevron)
- Construction Safety (OSHA)
- Incident/Root Cause Analysis investigations, including TapRoot; 5-Why; and Why-Tree (Certified Facilitator)
Publications (see Recent Projects tab to download selected articles)
- Managing Transitions on Major Capital Projects”, Asian Power, future edition in 2009.
- “Developing Optimum Contracting Strategies for Major International Projects”, World Pipelines, March 2009 issue
- “Project Management – Common Pitfalls & How to Avoid Them”, Energy Today magazine, a quarterly magazine covering the North American energy market (www.energytodaymagazine.com), Spring 2009 issue.
- “Fundamentals of Gas Pipeline Metering Stations”, Pipeline & Gas Journal, co-written with Mr. Saeid Mokhatab, January 2009 issue.
- “Managing Change – Manage Change on Major Projects”, World Pipelines, November 2008 issue
- “Managing Execution Risks in Oil and Gas Processing Industry’ EPC Projects”, co-written with Mr. Saeid Mokhatab. To be published in a future issue of Hydrocarbon Processing, awaiting publications details.
- “Basic Guide to Pipeline Compressor Stations”, Pipeline & Gas Journal, co-written with Mr. Saeid Mokhatab and Mr. Sidney Pereira dos Santos, June 2008.
- “Pipeline Systems - Control and Integrity Management”, Journal of Pipeline Engineering, co-written with Mr. Saeid Mokhatab and Mr. Sidney Pereira dos Santos, December 2007, Vol. 6, No. 4 edition.
- “Project Execution Risk: A Key Consideration for Upstream Energy Project Management”, World Oil, September 2007 issue; co-written with Mr. Saeid Mokhatab and Mr. D. Wood.
- “A Constructive Approach - Constructability’s Role in Upstream Project Execution”, World Pipelines, June 2007 issue
- Recognized contributor to Dr. Aurangzeb Khan, Assistant Professor, Dept. of Management Sciences, COMSATS Institute of Information Technology, Islamabad, Pakistan in providing material for the development of Project Management courses for post graduate students, 2006.
- “Don’t Take the Risk – Manage It - Managing Execution Risk in Upstream Projects”, World Pipelines, December issue, 2006
- Corporate Constructability Program. 2005, Developed and implemented a complete Constructability Program for a major international EPC contractor. Program is comprehensive covering all aspects of upstream EPC projects, including project-specific Constructability Plan template, checklists, charters, sample agendas, program maintenance & feedback mechanisms, dispute resolution, etc.
- International Project Management System (IPMS), 2004, proprietary system for internal use as a guide for managing complex energy projects worldwide, from initial project assessments and feasibility studies to hook up, commissioning, and turn over. IPMS utilizes a phased approach that defines minimum deliverables required at specific phases along the project timeline. System also includes a prescriptive review process for passing into the next phase of project planning and execution.
- Construction Managers Handbook (CMH), 2003, proprietary for internal use, provides guidance for the overall Construction Management aspects of the formation, organization, establishment, and management of project site work. The CMH guides the Construction Manager through the major segments of a construction project including mobilization, managing interfaces, transitions, construction implementation and demobilization.
- "Typical Hydrotest Water Intake and Discharge Mitigation Measure's", March 2002, published in ExxonMobil Global Share library system as an authoritative reference.
- "Guidelines for Preparing a Construction Execution Plan", February 2002, published in ExxonMobil Global Share library system as an authoritative reference.
- “Pipeline Construction”, Project Management Network Magazine, January 2002 (credited contributor to Ken Silverstein – author)
- “Keys to Successful Execution of International Projects”, Project Management Institute, Troubled Projects, Fall 2001, Volume 1, Issue 3